Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Coode Street Café

Coode Street Café
24 Coode Street
Maylands
(08) 9371 9900

1. Comfort and surroundings

Alexander: Sorry about the delay, folks, things have been a bit crazy in the lives of these breakfast bloggers! But with Lola's imminent departure on a European holiday, we knew we had to squeeze in a breakfast review! Coode Street Café was actually not our first choice on this particular occasion, but our first choice was inexplicably closed. Not to worry though, Coode Street Café was just a hop, skip and a jump (and a short car ride) away. Nestled on a leafy street in Maylands, you can tell that Coode Street Café has a good reputation by the number of cars parked within a 100m radius! After finding a carpark and securing a table outside, we settled in for breakfast. The café has a bustling, informal vibe, with an assortment of groupings (from friends to couples to families to singles) partaking in their morning meals. It's pleasant, if a little suburban for my taste, so I'll give it a 3.

Lola: I love the leafy streets and the homely feel to this high Mt Lawley / Maylands border area. Locals flock to this property which retains a corner store vibe. After breakfast you can pick up your milk, a newspaper and other morning staples. It might be bustling and it might be suburban, but I like the sense of community that those things create. And although it's busy, the vast space means there's little crowding. I'll have to say a 4.

2. Service

Alexander: Our waiter was very friendly, breezing across to our table after giving us a couple of minutes to peruse the menu. After securing our coffee orders, our waiter gave us the special of the day (a little bit of a novelty at breakfast!) and then left us for just about the perfect amount of time to make our decision. The food came out fast for such a busy place, so you know they are experienced at catering for a lot of people at the same time. Points for that. Payment at the counter afterwards was a pretty easy affair, too. A 3.5 from me.

Lola: There isn't much more to say in the service department. The system works well with waiters seating you and taking your orders, with counter payment at the end. This gives you a chance to pick up a pie to take home for lunch after! Pretty good with another 4 from this side.

3. Tastiness

Alexander: I couldn't go past the special on this occasion - corn cakes serviced with an avocado salsa, plus bacon on the side! If I could dream up my perfect breakfast, this would definitely be on the menu. It all worked well together, even if the plating was a little rustic. I devoured my breakfast and was left satisfied without being stuffed. A very happy 4!

Lola: Ohh that special nearly had me too! In the end I settled for the grilled peaches and ricotta on fig toast. This was just delightful and warrants a 4.5! The ricotta cut the sweetness of the peaches perfectly, and the bread was jam packed full of figs. Though I don't felt like I overindulged, it kept me full for hours with all its goodness. Yum!

4. Drinks

Alexander: Today I was back in long black territory, so I won't mince words. Good coffee, not the best I've had, definitely not the worst. Above average coffee = a score of 3.

Lola: My flat white could have been a little more robust, but it served the caffeine fix purpose and warmed me from the inside. A 3 seems apt for my beverage, also.


5. Fiscal matters

Alexander: Prices are on par with similar establishments in the location, with breakfast for 2 including drinks coming to a little under $40. When you can get away without parting with more than a $20 note each, things are pretty good... by Perth standards, anyway! 3.5 from me.

Lola: I couldn't have said it better myself. That $20 is a bit of a line for me. Spend over and, although it's common, I feel slightly peeved. But if I can come home with only having bust an orange, I feel like I've done not too bad at all. I second that 3.5.




The verdict...
Comfort and surroundings: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Tastiness: 8.5/10
Drinks: 6/10
Fiscal matters: 7/10

TOTAL: 36/50

Coode St Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment